Body Betrayed | Body Disabled

Welcome to My Story ~ Updated 10/30/16

My newest posts display their full text. Older posts will only display one paragraph.
To read the rest of an older post, click on "Click here to Read the Rest of this
Post" link at the bottom of the post.

You can email me at krbunnsr@gmail.com


Tuesday, August 18, 2009

FBC Newsletter, 08/18/09

Cathy and I want to thank you for your prayers, support, encouragement, friendship, cards,
food, and love during these last several weeks. It is a very difficult thing to go from good health one day to losing one’s strength and not being able to walk a few days later. I want to share what is happening to me with you for a couple of reasons. First, knowing what is happening will help you pray specifically for my healing. Second, by keeping you informed of my condition, you are hearing it straight from the source. Third, we all go through difficult times in our life and need to draw encouragement and hope from each other as we watch God move in our life.

It is a frustrating and scary experience to go through something like this. Not only for me, but for my family also. We were concerned about disability, especially when the doctors talked about me going to a rehab unit. We were uncertain about what was happening and what would happen as my symptoms progressed. We were frustrated at the length of time it takes to get almost anything done medically. We wanted the doctors to really listen to us, not just humor us. We were anxious for someone to tell us what was happening and what we needed to do to fix it.

Over the last several weeks, I have been admitted to Erlanger and treated in the ER at Memorial. I have seen several different doctors, had numerous tests, and had lots and lots of blood tests. Each had their own opinion of what was wrong with me.

This week, I was evaluated at the Vanderbilt Neuromuscular Clinic. They believe I have a condition called Predominantly Sensory Polyneuropathy. Ok, here’s what that means. The nerves in my body that feel pain, hot or cold, control my body temperature, sweating, and send feedback to my brain about what my muscles, arms, and legs are doing and where they are located in relation to each other are not working right. Pain and fatigue have also been a major issue. All of these symptoms combined make it difficult to walk and make my muscles react with weakness–even though the muscles are still strong. The next step at Vanderbilt is to determine just exactly what type of sensory polyneuropathy I have and what caused it. That will determine the treatment and final outcome.

So, where am I now? God is answering our prayers. I am improving slowly. I am able to walk without a walking stick now and my strength is slowly returning. Pain and fatigue are still present. I will be spending more time in the office, as I begin to move back to a regular work schedule. I know you will continue to keep me in your prayers.

Someone asked me this week, “where was God in all of this?” That’s a really good question we have all asked (or at least wanted to ask) at times. God was there all the time, even though there were times I didn’t feel His presence. God was there all the time–even when I was frustrated and even angry at everything that was happening–waiting patiently for me to calm down. God was there all the time, but not like fireworks exploding on the scene to fix the problem. God was there in the stillness of the painful nights to reassure me of His peace and sufficient grace. God was there to remind me that none of us knows what tomorrow holds. But, He does, and it will be alright. Like the old song says, “I don’t know about tomorrow, but I know who holds my hand.” Continue to keep us in your prayers!

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: