Body Betrayed | Body Disabled

Welcome to My Story ~ Updated 10/30/16

My newest posts display their full text. Older posts will only display one paragraph.
To read the rest of an older post, click on "Click here to Read the Rest of this
Post" link at the bottom of the post.

You can email me at krbunnsr@gmail.com


Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Side Effects and Suicidal Thoughts

This is a very serious email correspondance with Dr. Lee. I experienced something this week I had never experienced before and hope to never experience again. I share this with you because I now know what it is like to be "taken over" by medication, if only for a few days.


------------------------------

I have a return appointment with you at the end of October, but, I am having some additional concerns now. My pain level is still constant and the painful area has increased. I hurt from mid-thigh down in both legs and elbows down in both arms (legs more than arms).

My greatest concern is the depression I have felt over the last week or so. I am not and never been a depressed person. I am also having trouble concentrating occasionally and sometimes feel like I just don't care. There have been no significant changes in family/job or life.

Strange as it may sound, I have also had fleeting, momentary thoughts flash through my mind of suicide. That is certainly not me and is something I would never consider or do. I have found it even very odd and disturbing to have these thoughts. My wife is aware of these thoughts.

I recognize these conditions and are aware of them. This is not me and I do not like feeling this way. Could the neurontin be causing these problems? Is there any other medicine I could try?

------------------------------

Dr. Lee called me as soon as he received this email. He said that neurontin has been reported to cause suicidal thoughts in some individuals. I have been taking neurontin for about four months now. He told me to stop taking the medication immediately. Within a couple of days, my depression was better and I have not had any suicidal thoughts since then.

I am now medically allergic to neurontin and on a different type of medication which supposedly helps calm my nerve endings. I have not had any side effects from the new medication.

If you or anyone you know has suicidal thoughts for any reason, seek help immediately.

No comments: