Body Betrayed | Body Disabled

Welcome to My Story ~ Updated 10/30/16

My newest posts display their full text. Older posts will only display one paragraph.
To read the rest of an older post, click on "Click here to Read the Rest of this
Post" link at the bottom of the post.

You can email me at krbunnsr@gmail.com


Tuesday, June 16, 2009

On a Slippery Slope to . . . .

Between my neurological visits, my body took a huge turn downhill. Walking become more
and more of a problem. I had to use the handrails to pull myself upstairs. While I hurt and ached some all over my body, the majority of the problem was in my legs. I still was insensitive to pinpricks.

On Monday, June 15, 2009, I noticed a lot of twitching in both legs and was having even more trouble walking. Twitching is called fasciculations and is often a sign of ALS (Lou Gherigs disease). My return appointment with the neurologist was Tuesday, June 16, 2009.

Tuesday morning, June 16, 2009, I had been at church and worked on several items. I left late morning for my second neurological appointment. I had gathered a lot of medical records from previous doctors over the last few years to provide any needed background information to the neurologist. In November 2005, I was diagnosed with a tenth cranial nerve palsy. Since I did not know if there was any connection between then and what I was experiencing now, I wanted the doctor to have the medical report from 2005.

------------------------------

Here is what happened back then. In the summer of 2005, I was eating a Frosty from Wendy's. I noticed that I could feel the cold on the right, interior of my throat, but not on the left interior. I did not think much more about it. On a ENT checkup in October, 2005, I mentioned the loss of sensation to my doctor. He began a series of studies that eventually diagnosed a tenth cranial nerve palsy. From all the tests I had back then, the most probable cause was a viral or bacterial infection had slightly damaged the nerve in my throat.

------------------------------

When I arrived for my appointment on June 16, 2009, I was in a lot of physical distress. It is a very long walk from the Erlanger parking lot to the doctors office in the medical complex. My heart was racing, I was feeling faint, my legs and arms would barely move, I was having trouble catching my breath, and greatly fatigued.

The receptionist said that she "was sorry, but the doctor was not in today and I would have to reschedule my appointment." I explained my situation to her and that I needed to see someone now! She, very politely said that, "there was no way they could help me today--all of the other doctors were very busy." WHAT! I pleaded with her to find a doctor. I was in great distress. She finally went to check and see if the other doctor would see me. No! I was angry, upset, mad, and very sick at this point.

I began to make my way back to the car. I was walking like an old man who had lost his cane. My balance was out of sync with my body--I probably looked like I was drunk. I had to stop and rest several times before I got to the car. I called Cathy and told her what had happened and that I was heading home. She could not believe what the neurologist group had said and done.

By the time I got home, I was in even greater distress and tears were running down my cheeks. I could not walk up the three steps from the garage into the house. Cathy and Kerrell (my daughter) finally got me to the bed. After a few minutes of resting, we went for medical help. We stopped by the doctor's office, and he said go to the Emergency Room at Erlanger. Erlanger is a teaching hospital and major trauma center. Since the neurologist I was seeing was connected with them, that would probably be the best place to go for the quickest help.

No comments: