Body Betrayed | Body Disabled

Welcome to My Story ~ Updated 10/30/16

My newest posts display their full text. Older posts will only display one paragraph.
To read the rest of an older post, click on "Click here to Read the Rest of this
Post" link at the bottom of the post.

You can email me at krbunnsr@gmail.com


Tuesday, May 26, 2009

First Symptoms Noticed

On Memorial Day, Monday, May 24, 2009, I noticed a large pimple on my left knee. I
lanced it with a sterilized needle. It did not hurt at all, no matter how deep I pushed the needle into my skin. That's strange! I discovered that I could not feel needle pricks in many areas of my lower legs. Cathy tried sticking me several times also. I think she enjoyed it--just kidding. I could not feel pinpricks in my lower legs, but could feel touch and pressure, hot and cold, just nothing sharp.

On Tuesday, May 26, 2009, I went to my local physician because of the inability to feel the needle. I also had been hurting and aching all over for a few weeks, but had not thought much about it because I had been engaging in a lot of yard work. I had actually experienced a dull muscle ache for about one year. A previous doctor did an examination and blood work and believed the dull ache was caused by a viral infection.

This morning, my physician noted right away that I was moving like an "old man." I certainly was feeling like an old man that day. This was the first time I really recognized that my movements were much slower than normal. I was also having trouble with mobility which was totally new to me. I had trouble squatting and rising, and getting in and out of chairs. I almost had to crawl up my own body using my knees as props to get off the floor or out of a chair. I was beginning to experience a good deal of fatigue. The doctor did a neurological exam and ordered blood work since my symptoms seemed to come from a variety of causes.

My basic neurological exam was OK, except for slow movement and loss of pain perception in my lower legs. He suggested that I see a neurologist for a follow-up and more thorough exam.

The blood work later revealed that I had a slightly elevated CK level. Something was happening in my body that was making me stiff and achy. I felt like I had just ran a marathon--I ached that bad and felt that tired.

No comments: